Saturday, September 11, 2010

It’s incredible here!

So many lasers..what a sight! What an amazing gathering of sailors, friends, athletes and champions from all corners of the globe. I feel like I’ve been so lucked already on this trip! My trip started with a wonderful visit with my sister and her family... I managed to see a little of London in that short time. What a neat place so full of history and rich in culture. Trish and her husband Harvey have been so nice and actually drove me all the way to Hayling Island. The drive was about 2 1/2 hours away from their house in Northern London. It was great to spend some quality time with them and get the quick tour through London by car. Once we arrived to Hayling Island (which is in the southern part of England), I was so happy (and relieved) to see my the housing accommodations Trish had setup for me. Until I had her look into it.. my trip planning skills had me staying off the island about 45 minutes away by car! Now.. I’ve arguably got the best spot in the regatta! I’m staying at this beautiful English beach house right on the bay. I have my own room and bathroom with it’s own entrance that looks out into a beautiful garden patio. I share a small kitchen with a well known Australian sailor and wife with their little daughter. He is actually the four time Apprentice Master World Champion. Not bad company to discuss my morning tactics with over toast and coffee! Our house is the closest house to the Hayling Island Sailing Club where the 350+ boats are all idling on the beach waiting for this event to start. The sailing club is the center of all activities with a beautiful restaurant and bar. I just have to walk out my door and I’m right there! Very cool! My host couple is an extremely nice retired couple. They’re big sailors with many ocean miles and are actually are helping in the running of this regatta. Last night a group of the neighbor host families had a little wine and cheese mixer at the Lifeboats Rescue Station. This facility is approximately 100 yards out from my back patio and overlooks the bay and ocean. What an incredible facility that’s setup much like our fire stations in the states. It’s all volunteer run and privately funded by donors in the community. There collection of rescue boats and safety equipment was very impressive with carbon fiber RIBs setup to launch in just a few minutes by tractor. Team Photo last night with most of the North American contingency.

The sun is just coming up... Its beautiful out. I’m still acclimating to the time change. It’s 8 hours ahead of my time zone. Today (Sunday).. goal for today is a practice race at noon and just get the boat tuned up for the first races tomorrow. Two race a day,
layday on Wednesday.

I’m also going to try to keep up with “Blog” while I’m here. Hopefully post photos later today or tonight.

Peter






No comments: