Friday, August 12, 2011

First a good Breakfast, then the Apple Store..

We ate a nice breakfast at trendy cafe on Chestnut St. called "The Grove". Chestnut Street reminds me a lot of like Montana Ave in West LA. Bottom line.. nobody is in a hurry to get to work there :). Well.. maybe late for yoga or the spa.. It's definitely the good life. Eating a good breakfast is critical for me to have the energy to sail effectively up here. When I'm out on the water, I only get to drink my special mix of water and a product called "Hammer Gel". I't very limited on what you can bring out with you on a laser.
I also eat a high protein Cliff Bar to help refuel the body for a quick recovery between races. This being my seventh Master Worlds, I've found that being properly hydrated before, during and after a race, plus eating right is the key to me being successful at these regattas. The promise of sustained energy and rapid muscle recovery from these types of products is enough for me to buy into it and the science behind it. But this morning I'm at the Apple Store in SF getting a new iPhone. I'm with my good friend and host Russ Silvestri who needed his previous one replaced. Russ was a Olympian in the Finn class from the 2000 Sydney and finished a respectable 6th place. Russ and I were also teammate at USC back in college. He's currently in 4th place in this regatta and always in the hunt to win any race. He grew up sailing in San Francisco and knows the bay well. He's been an incredible resource for all of us and stay at his house couldn't be a better setup. Truly a great friend and competitor. Being in the Apple Store reminds me how badly I need an iPad!!! I actually started this blog entry while I was waiting for Russ.. Got to get back to the yacht club.. Racing starts at 2:00pm today.

No comments: