Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 3 Grinder

Day 3 was the windiest day of the championship so far with both races sailed in over 20 knots of wind. My first race started well but my decision to go hard right out into the ebb current didn't pay off like I planned. I was looking good going upwind in my group of boats till the big left shift launched half the fleet in front of me. This all happened right at the first weather mark. From that point on I was in major catch up mode trying to get back in the chase. When you're in the back of the fleet, you take more chances and more often make more mistakes. I was able to sail a good 2nd weather leg and get back into the high twenties for the last downwind and two reaches. The wind also started to really nuke by the end part of the race and stay upright became my first priority as I planned downwind. My fleet is packed with talent and experience but these conditions started to show its teeth. I shot past many a sailor who either lost control in the steep tide and wind generated waves or was just pushing too hard. The most common mishap is a maneuver known a "death-roll." A death roll is a long a is long and tiring personal disaster for any racer. You can lose many places in the race so I try to avoid this them at all costs. As I quickly approached the gybe mark at high speed I could see 3 boats with their centerboards pointing at the sky (flipped over). It resembled a sailboat graveyard when me and an Australia boat arrive on the scene. The AUS boat entered first and weaved between two flipped boats but lost control and flipped. It was my turn so I took a slightly different line through the chaos and make a cautious but clean gybe. I quickly gathered myself, hiked and sheeted and was shot out the other side. The short beat to the finish was merciful as I crossed the finish line in 25th. I was so exhausted I just luffed my sail and sat for a few minutes. My energy level was not good going into the last race of the day and I was feeling pretty spent. My goal was to just hang on and finish the next race. The race ended up being a grueling test of skill and endurance as the conditions just kept getting worse. We started in winds in the mid-twenties and I was in full survive mode... again. As I got on my final approach to the starting line, my position was shaping up to be pretty good. I noticed that I was starting right next to the regatta leader Brett Beyers from Australia. Brett is a 7-time world champion and arguable the fastest guy at this regatta. My start line strategy was once the starting gun goes off, he'll be moving so fast.. the bad air from his sail would be minimal as he drove over me quickly. Well.. it didn't quite work out that way.. Brett eventually did move to the front and lead from start to finish. But to my surprise (and my tried legs protest..) I moved up too into the lead group! Force by circumstance to play full out, I finished a respectable 12th at the finish. I was so exhausted I didn't think I could make the sail in but the thought of a hot shower and the layday ahead got me in safely. No sailing tomorrow.. more racing on Thursday! Peter

No comments: